CPD Points: 5 CEUs (General) and 1 CEU (Ethics) from CMSA
What is the course about?
This course offers people working with or caring for children who have life-threatening or life-limiting conditions knowledge on how to recognise, assess and manage pain in children, with particular relevance to children with life-threatening and life-limiting illnesses. The course covers the following key elements:
- The meaning of total pain.
- Definitions and classifications of pain according to duration, type and cause.
- How to recognise pain in children.
- Types of pain children experience.
- How to complete a thorough pain assessment.
- How to use age appropriate pain rating scales.
- General principles of pain management.
- Using morphine and co-analgesics.
- Managing procedural pain in children and neonates.
Why take the course?
“This interactive module on assessing and managing pain in children, covers everything you need to know to improve the quality of life for children in pain. For too long children’s pain has been under recognised, underestimated and therefore under treated. Informative, fun and easy to complete, this module is absolutely essential for anyone working with children in healthcare.”
Dr Julia Ambler
Deputy Director, Co-Founder and Head of Clinical Services
Umduduzi Hospice Care for Children